One of the last potential obstacles for the 2016 Miami International Boat Show has been cleared away.
The show received notice at the end of December that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers had issued the third and final environmental permit needed, ensuring that the annual event will move forward as planned at Miami Marine Stadium Park & Basin, show organizers said.
With that final permit, the show began installation of docks for the in-water portion of the show Tuesday. The show received its in-water environmental permit from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection on December 11 and the Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners voted to approve the Show’s Class 1 special event permit on December 15.
“We’re thrilled that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has issued our third and final environmental permit, and we look forward to welcoming boating enthusiasts from across the globe as well as all of our exhibitors to Miami in February," show director Cathy Rick-Joule said in an email to Boating Industry. "As we have for the past thirty years, we will operate the show with respect for the environment and in compliance with all local, state and federal requirements. We are grateful for all of the support we’ve received from the industry as well as the Miami community and are excited to celebrate the Show with everyone February 11-15!”
The 75th annual Miami International Boat Show takes place from February 11-15, 2016 at Miami Marine Stadium Park and Basin.
The Miami International Boat Show is moving from its traditional home at the convention center in order to make room for a multi-year renovation. Organizers of the show envision Miami Marine Stadium Park and Basin as the long-term home of the show, but several entities, most notably the village of Key Biscayne, have challenged the move.
Last month, a Florida judge dismissed the village's lawsuit against the show. However, the village has also filed a suit against the city of Miami, which is still pending. An October deal to settle that suit fell apart whenKey Biscayne pulled out of the agreement shortly after it was announced.